One summer during
my late teens/early twenties, I had a very brief romance with a boy I’d
known since childhood. It was doomed from the start, though not for all the typical reasons you might suspect.
Oh all of
those reasons were there, of course. I liked him a lot, which in my life always
equated to an emotional power imbalance wherein I somehow ended up on the low end of the seesaw. He was also extremely smart and analytical, so ditto the
previous explanation, with the ultimate outcome that this person would find a way
to make me very sad. Or more accurately, that I would find a way to make myself very sad
in the wake of his inevitable rejection of me. So all of that was there, and predictably came to pass in a matter of
weeks.
But there was an
additional problem.
His father was a beloved
physician, and I’d been to see him as a patient for some serious stomach
issues many years earlier. I should have remembered this detail before I
allowed my heart to open up on this one. Because when you think about it, if
you’re dating a guy and his dad has an intimate knowledge of your rectal vault
and tendencies toward constipation, it’s not exactly a good omen. Indeed I
might go so far as to call it a pretty bad omen at worst, and awkward at best.
So. What can we learn from this?
Well, if I’m ever
lucky enough to have a close relationship with my teenage daughter someday, I’ll give
her the same advice I wish someone had given to me: Never fall for a guy whose
dad is a doctor who knows exactly how constipated you are. That’s just an inauspicious
start to any new relationship. You can ignore
this advice, I’ll tell her. But do so at your peril, because you can count on this liaison being
just one more milepost on the unpaved, pot-hole-riddled highway to becoming a bitter, cynical,
emotionally-damaged old hag wholly incapable of true vulnerability and non-ambivalent
intimacy.
Not that I would know
anything about that.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.