Like so many milestone events that have come and gone in the decade that I've lived in Alaska--weddings, bridal showers, baby showers--the cost and distance of traveling from here to New York City has severely limited my ability to participate.
These are mostly events which, if I still lived in the city where I grew up, I'd probably make the effort to attend. I managed to make it back east for my 15th college reunion last year, and I'd do it again if given the chance--if only to spend time with a few close friends who were enthusiastic about going.
But that college reunion experience made me realize something about reunions and the period of my life from about age 14-22: It wasn't necessarily the best time ever. In fact, it kinda sucked donkey balls.
Sure there were some intermittently great things about those years: I made some lifelong friends and we laughed and partied a lot. I had a serious boyfriend and I was in love with him. I played a sport and I was pretty good at it.
But basically I was unhappy. I was perpetually stressed out, depressed, anxious, eating-disordered, and constantly trying to make people like me and be my friend. I felt inferior all the time. I had low self esteem. Constantly trying to succeed socially and academically felt like a huge amount of work, and it took a major toll on my psyche.
The lasting impact is my incongruous resistance to and preoccupation with memory.
The lasting impact is my incongruous resistance to and preoccupation with memory.
Admittedly, part of the reason I moved to an unfamiliar place almost as far away as a person can go and still live in America was a reaction to some of that. Lots of people try to run away from themselves, and maybe I'm no different that way. I guess what it comes down to is that I just don't like to remember the way I used to feel about myself and the way certain people and places "made" me feel about myself.
After all, I still have a huge amount of work to do on that as it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.