Monday, January 25, 2016

My 8 Year Old Said She Wants to Be Skinny. Here's How That Convo Went.

I've written about this issue a lot on this blog, and I've done a lot of research. And if it's one mistake I'm determined not to make, it's contribute to a negative body image for either of my kids, especially my daughter Paige, who is chubby. Which is OK. It's OK to say she's chubby, because she is, and it's not a dirty word or a bad thing. 

I'm not naive enough to think I can actually give Paige a positive body image, but I can at least try to mitigate a negative one. Here's one example of this ongoing dialogue I try to have with her. This conversation happened just a few hours ago:

Paige: Can I run on the treadmill after you?
Me: Sure honey.

Paige: [Running]: I want to run on the treadmill so I can be skinny.
Me: Why would you want to be skinny?
Paige: I don't know. I just do.
Me: But why?
Paige: [Name redacted] said I was fat. I was on the monkey bars hanging upside down and she said I was fat right in my ear so I could hear it. Then I told the teacher and she said 'I never said that.'"

Me: Who cares though?
Paige: I don't know.
Me: Who cares what [Name redacted] said, and who cares if you're fat or skinny? You shouldn't want to run on a treadmill to get skinny. You're perfect the way you are. Remember "All About that Bass?" I'm like the mama in that song. I'm telling you don't worry about your size.
Paige: Ok. Well I also want to run on the treadmill because it's good for my body.
Me: Ok honey. That's a different story.
Paige: Ok, can I be done now?
Me: With this conversation or with the treadmill?
Paige: Both.

Me: Sure honey.

Now if I can just have a similar dialogue with myself, and believe it, I'll be all set. Right?


2 comments:

  1. Let me know if you'd like to know how a children's therapist would respond to what Paige shared with you. Love your blog btw

    ReplyDelete