Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Alaska State Capitol Needs a New Street Address AND a New Theme Song

An op-ed in the Alaska Dispatch News on Tuesday reported on a street-naming drama afoot in the Fairbanks North Star Borough. 

Fairbanks residents have been debating whether it's a good idea to keep the name "Terminal Street" as the site of the Borough headquarters, since some argue the name has negative connotations (e.g., terminal cancer). Now I haven't been to Fairbanks in a few years, so I can't credibly speak to this issue. But I DO think there's a takeaway here for Juneau. 

This year's legislative session is now well into overtime, and I'm starting to think that 120 East Fourth Street, the address of our Capitol Building, needs a new name too. Maybe "Boulevard of Broken Dreams?"

In the meantime, forget the Alaska Flag Song.The Capitol and its denizens deserve a remake of U2's famous hit, Where the Streets Have No Name off the Irish rock band's 1987 album The Joshua Tree.

Ahem.

Where the Streets Spawn Disdain (alternative working title: Song for the Alaska Legislature)

I want to run
I want to hide
Jackhammers tear down the walls
That held them inside
I wanna reach out
And lay some blame
Where the streets spawn disdain

I want to feel, they're not a disgrace
I want to see them disappear without a trace
I wanna take shelter, 'cause they're insane

Where the streets spawn disdain
Where the streets spawn disdain

Where the streets spawn disdain

We're still building
Then burning down laws, burning down laws
And when I go there
It's like deja vu
Alaskans are screwed

They're stuck in the mud
And our faith turns to rust
We're beaten and blown by these fools
Trampled to dust

I'll show you a place
Drenched by the Juneau rain

Where the streets spawn disdain
Where the streets spawn disdain
Where the streets spawn disdain

Still building

Then burning down laws
Burning down laws

And when we go there
We go there to stew
It's all we can do

Our faith turns to rust
We're beaten and blown by these fools
Blown by these fools
Oh and the public trust
See that trust turn to rust
We're beaten and blown by these fools
Blown by these fools
Oh when we go there
We try to break through
It's all we can do


Alaska State Capitol Building.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment