Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Uh, Not So Sure About This Throw Pillow

To be perfectly honest, I'm not so sure about this throw pillow on the couch in my parents' living room. I suspect it came from one of my mom's many trips abroad to Asia or Africa, and certainly I don't want to sound ignorant or insensitive about crafts from a culture I can't even identify. 

But to paraphrase Depeche Mode, people are people, so why should it be, that a headless dick and balls should form the nose of a face whose eyes look like two antidepressants? On a throw pillow, of all things?

Fans of Depeche Mode will recall that that is not exactly how the song went, but it makes a point. Human anatomy is the same the world over, so surely the creator of this pillow knew--at a minimum--that he or she was making a penis and testicles out of the nose of the character on this throw pillow.

This dick-n'-balls-nosed pillow now joins the ranks of "objets d'art" in my parents' apartment that are--how shall I put this--of somewhat dubious aesthetic merit.

2 comments:

  1. My dear, you failed Margaret Mead's thematic apperception test, miserably! Do you not see see that there is no head to said (you did say, dick) dick? It's plain as a vagina - this is only a dick nose! I do understand that you live in Juneau, thus I give you a smidge of a break. But c'mon, I know more dick noses from Juneau than from anywhere else in AK other than Soldotna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear, you failed Margaret Mead's thematic apperception test, miserably! Do you not see see that there is no head to said (you did say, dick) dick? It's plain as a vagina - this is only a dick nose! I do understand that you live in Juneau, thus I give you a smidge of a break. But c'mon, I know more dick noses from Juneau than from anywhere else in AK other than Soldotna.

    ReplyDelete