Friday, June 24, 2016

"Closer to Fine" by the Indigo Girls Has All the Answers When You're a 19 Year-Old White Girl in College

This song was my JOINT when I was 19. I mean, I felt like this song UNDERSTOOD me. It was like some sort of musical version of Eat, Pray, Love, but from the 90's and way less annoying, or equally annoying but in a different way.
 

I blasted that shit from the tape deck of my janky Honda Civic:

"I'm tryna tell you something 'bout my life, tryna give me insight between black and white and the best thing you ever did for me, was to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life after all, yeah."

Yeah! It's only life, after all! Thank God! It's all gonna be okay! Wait. Who is you? Whatever two-bit dirt bag or shit head I'm pining over today I guess? Anyway. Here comes some INSIGHT into those gray areas of LIFE, people!:

"Well the darkness has a hunger that's insatiable, and the lightness has a call that's hard to hear. I wrap my fear around me like a blanket, I sailed my ship of safety til I sank it, I'm crawling on your shore."


Holy shit. This is so DEEP right here. I ALWAYS wrap my fear around me like a blanket! My fear is like a leopard print snuggie! I don't know where this ship to shore safety metaphor is going exactly, but it is my whole fucking LIFE right now, described to a tee! It's so hard to find the LIGHT sometimes. Am I right!?

"I went to see the doctor of philosophy with a poster of Rasputin and a beard down to his knees. He never did marry, or see a B-grade movie. He graded my performance, he said he could see through me I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind got my paper and I was free."

Oh My God. I have no idea what they're talking about but this is SPEAKING TO ME. It's either college, which I am in right now and hate for so many reasons, or it's an ashram in India and I need to keep working at this hamburger and omelette joint a little longer so I can save enough money to buy a plane ticket to Southeast Asia and enlightenment.

"I stopped by the bar at 3:00 a.m. to seek solace in a bottle or more possibly a friend. I woke up with a headache like my head against the boards, twice as cloudy as I'd been the night before and I went in seeking clarity."


Ahhh!! I want to eat shrooms with the Indigo Girls immediately! This is like my LIFE every weekend, like, for REAL. But the chorus? I mean, it's like Emily and Amy are INSIDE MY HOPES AND DREAMS:

"I went to the doctor, I went to the mountain, I looked to the children, I drank from the fountain, there's more than one answer to these questions, pointing me in a crooked line. And the less I seek my source for some definitive, the closer I am to fiiiiiiiiiiiiine yeah!"


YES! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT EMILY AND AMY! These two are on a serious mission for Nirvana and I want their itinerary. Is the doctor a therapist? God I hope so. Where is this? The Peace Corps? I should really join the Peace Corps instead of wasting another year in a dorm room. Why can I not get my shit together and be like, on my way to Nepal by now?

Whatever, it's all good. There's more than one answer to these deep questions, people! There's more than one answer! So deep! I'm not some kind of CONFORMIST. I'm on a CROOKED LINE! My journey is VERY profound. I love this song!


1 comment:

  1. You can always find an IG song that fits how you're feeling at any given time! Just saw them last Wed at the Stone Pony and they are as AWESOME as ever (and with better haircuts as well)

    ReplyDelete