Sunday, February 28, 2016

Culture and Style Observations at Denver International Airport

I know it's kind of wrong to photograph strangers, but at least this couple had their backs turned to the camera and cannot easily be identified beyond the point of this post, which is simply to make some brief style and cultural commentary regarding the Denver International Airport's style game.

When you live in Alaska or haven't left the state for awhile, a Lower 48 airport is fertile ground for fashion updates and pointers. 

It's where I first learned that Toms shoes and jean shorts up to the vagina were on trend last summer, and it is now where I've discovered the epicenter of the flat brim vs. curved brim style wars for men. I've now also come to understand that peroxide bottle blonde hairstyles for women are not, apparently, the exclusive domain of strippers and Hooters waitresses.

This dude though really captures what "it" is seemingly all about in the Mountain West these days. As Grandpa Simpson once said, "I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was, and suddenly 'it' became scary and strange to me." 

Well I'm here to tell you that I'm a little scared. As far as Colorado is concerned, "it" for women is Vegas stripper-chic in cowgirl boots, and "it" for dudes is a trucker hat with brim SLIGHTLY curved, tight polypropylene shirt to show off ripped pecs and lats, designer "distressed" jeans, and a fancy watch even though no one needs a watch to tell time anymore.

And I for one refuse to go gently into that good night. I don't have a prayer of looking like Jenna Jameson, but I CAN rock an on-trend baseball hat--$29.95 and one margarita (with salt) later.



No comments:

Post a Comment