Friday, December 25, 2015

Two 70 Year-Old Jewish New Yorkers Who Haven't Thought About Star Wars Since 1977 See Star Wars on Christmas

The following is a verbatim transcript of a FaceTime call I had with my parents late this afternoon.

Mom: Hi! What did you guys do today?
Me: Oh you know, same thing we do every weekend. Fought like animals all morning and then finally made it outside by noon. How about you?
Mom: WE WENT TO SEE STAR WARS!!!
Me: Wait . . . What?
Mom: Yeah! I said to dad, I said: "Nicky, I wanna see Star Wars. Let's go see Star Wars." So we went to see Star Wars! In IMAX! In 3D!
Me: Wow . . . did you like it?
Mom: I really liked it. Dad didn't like it as much as I did, but I REALLY liked it.
Dad: Meh. It wasn't as good as the first one. 
Me: Interesting.
Dad: The first one was funny. This one I thought missed a lot of opportunities to be funny.
Me: Wow . . . I guess I'm just kind of surprised you guys did that. It's so . . . kind of . . . random . . .
Mom: Well I loved it, and then when I got home I read about the entire plot on Wikipedia.
Dad: She read about the entire plot.
Mom: I never realized Luke and Leia were brother and sister?!
Me: I'm seriously so confused. Am I dreaming this right now? I'm just trying to figure out how you two spent Christmas. You went to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens in IMAX 3D, and then you went home and read about the plot of all of Star Wars on Wikipedia.
Mom: Yep.
Dad: Yep.
Me: OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment