Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Side-Eye

Each new year, I make the same resolution: be less judgmental. I strive for inner-directedness, non-judgmentalism, and understanding at all times. Yet there remain some things that, no matter how hard I try, I just can't stop giving the side-eye to. These are the few things that inevitably make me say . . . Wow, seriously?

1. Kids on leashes: OK, so it's a teddy bear back-pack and your kid is a runner. But you still have him on a leash, and that just seems weird and creepy.

2. Recreational policing: occasionally I'll find myself in a social setting where someone will decide to police a totally meaningless situation, like when to put out the brownies or what the exact score was at kickball or something.

3. Public bickering: I'd be lying if I said I didn't do this with my own family at times, but it's equally mortifying to be a player and a spectator. In short, I've had to give myself the side-eye on this once in awhile.

4. Protesters right outside an abortion clinic: Without casting judgment on this debate one way or the other, I think this is really a unique form of extra-scary bullying.

5. Make-up in a vending machine: (see photo, inset). Are we really at the point where we as a society are so prone to fashion "emergencies" (See prior post titled, "Emergency!") that we need to put make-up in a vending machine at the Anchorage airport? Side-eye!




No comments:

Post a Comment