Tuesday, October 28, 2014

The Dumbest Fight Yet

This afternoon I had what was quite possibly THE dumbest fight I've had yet in my brief history of parenting, and that's saying a lot. 

I picked Isaac up from school early to take him to his 4-year check-up. When we got to the doctor's office, he brought some books over for me to read while we were waiting. One of them was a cartoon picture book about trolls that for some inexplicable reason, turned out to be written 100% in Norwegian. I tried to explain to Isaac that I could neither speak nor read a single word of Norwegian, and that he wouldn't understand it if I tried. Undeterred, he demanded that I read the book anyway. I resisted, but he was most insistent and became rather irate. 

So I proceeded to read this troll book out loud in "Norwegian" to Isaac and a room full of skeptical looking parents and children. What came out of my mouth sounded like a drunk Miss Piggy practicing for an upcoming trip to Scandanavia with The Swedish Chef. For that reason, Isaac quickly became disenchanted with the Norwegian troll book, and chose another book instead. He handed it to me and in an exasperated voice, sighed: "Is THIS one in English?" 

Fighting with your kid about refusing/being unable to speak or read Norwegian. It's text book...right?



No comments:

Post a Comment